Monday, January 24, 2011

Poster Art

Annu Palakunnathu Matthew's work from her collection "Bollywood Satirized" consists of deconstructed Bollywood poster art that she manipulated to incorporate her eye-opening and cheeky messages about gender, stereotypes, and politics in India. She uses her work to to challenge the viewers based off her personal experiences growing up as a woman in India. In order to alter these posters, she used digital technology (Matthew).
I love the use of eyes in the above image, and the claw over the woman while the man smiles smugly in the corner. Looking at this made me frustrated that a woman in India could be confined by an arranged marriage, unable to pursue her own romantic interests, or even have the option to stay independent without society intervening.
Upon viewing this series, I was moved by the images she used and the fonts she chose, and the way they were pieced together like a fluid collage to get her idea across without interrupting the flow of the poster. Each piece is crafted to precision and the colors go together beautifully. It made me sympathetic to the difficulties a woman in India may face growing up and made me appreciate the ease of my own life. I plan on drawing inspiration from her for my future works in my Digital Media class.

1 comment:

  1. Something I find really great about digital art is how it can connect us across the world--you are able to know about women in India through this medium and the internet, which allows us to connect, share ideas, and even take action!

    ReplyDelete