Tuesday, April 12, 2011

tchmo: an artist's post

Tchmo is an artist I discovered last summer on the Society 6 webpage. I instantly fell in love with the atmosphere created by one of his abstract pictures. I ordered it poster-sized in a heartbeat, and it is now stuck to the wall by my bed in my dorm. (It is the picture directly below.)

When I tried researching tchmo, I found hardly and biographical information. His website claims he was born in Australia and his work is based in Montreal, Canada. He states simply "I mash things up," and little else. He lets his work speak for itself.


A lot of his work incorporates mountains, clouds, and some water landscapes. He has bright colors of grain and  fog which he layers tactfully on top of  these modified pictures. His pieces vary in the clarity of the picture basis he used before mashing them up. Various pieces seem like they have no picture basis at all, and incorporate paint-like slits that cut through the canvas like lightning.



Urban Outfitters recognizes him as one of the artists they feature in their Society 6-connection print shop, so although he is not widely recognized, he has a respectful nod from a influential corporation.



I can see myself drawing inspiration from his creative use of color on top of a nature's beauty to create a surreal landscape that evokes different feelings from the viewer. I wish I knew more about the mysterious tchmo's work ethic and background, but for now I will have to be satisfied with reveling in his talent.



No comments:

Post a Comment